0 View comments Anti-Israeli protesters took advantage of a security lapse to infiltrate a dinner for UEFA’s top officials in London.
Guests at the event – including David Beckham and Sir Alex Ferguson – were stunned as three people, two men and a woman, staged the protest against UEFA arranging its European Under-21 tournament in Israel next month.
One of the protesters jumped on the stage and started shouting slogans, while another stood behind UEFA president Michel Platini with a small flag, before all three were removed by security staff at the Old Billingsgate venue.
Proterst: Protesters march to the UEFA congress in London to protest against the U-21 European Championships in Israel – three even managed to get inside the building The dinner followed UEFA’s Congress in London and was organised with the support of the Football Association.
One guest, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: ‘It was between courses and suddenly this man and woman got on the stage and started shouting things against Israel.
Another had a flag and was standing behind Platini.
‘Everyone was gobsmacked.
It seemed to go on for a few minutes before they were removed.
‘It was a bit of a security lapse to say the least.
They were smartly dressed in suits but no one could understand how they had got in because we all had to show our invitations.’ Protesters from a group called Red Card Israeli Racism had also staged a demonstration outside the UEFA Congress in London’s Grosvenor House hotel earlier in the day.
It is the latest in a series of protests against UEFA – in January a group of pro-Palestinian activists occupied UEFA’s headquarters near Geneva.
Eight countries, including England, are taking part in the Under-21 tournament in Israel next month.
Bury say the takeover at Gigg Lane will ‘allow wages, HMRC and loans obtained from the PFA to be fully repaid’.
Photograph: Christopher Thomond for the Guardian Bury’s future looks safe after a takeover which has seen the chairman, Brian Fenton, and board of directors resign with immediate effect.
The club announced in April that they needed 1m to survive.
The club, who were relegated from League One, said that the manager, Kevin Blackwell, will receive the backing of the incoming board members.
A statement on buryfc.co.uk read: “The paperwork for the takeover has been formally completed.
The board of directors have all resigned in order for new board members to be appointed during the next few days.
It is hoped that the paperwork can be concluded by 5pm on Wednesday 29 May.
This will allow wages, HMRC and loans obtained from the PFA to be fully repaid, and allow the club to move forward.
“The new board of directors will be bringing in key individuals to assist in bringing new ideas and business models to ensure the financial security of Bury Football Club moving forward.
“The new board of directors have met with Kevin Blackwell and support him 100% in his vision of returning Bury to the position it deserves.
The new board would like to thank Jim Lomas and Neville Neville for their support and hard work in assisting with the due diligence process.
Without their input this would not have been possible.”
Police had to call in reinforcements after Manchester United fans locked out of their club’s victory parade stormed metal barriers.
Parents and crying children were among thousands of disappointed supporters caught in a mini-crush as Albert Square was ruled ‘full’ more than an hour before the team bus arrived.
Video footage from the event – celebrating the team’s 20th Premier League championship as well as Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement – shows Greater Manchester Police officers and private security staff knocked over as waves of fans pour forward through 8ft barriers.
Scroll down for video…
Jam packed: A number of fans were left outside St Albert’s Square in Manchester to celebrate United’s parade In full force: United fans were celebrating Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement An estimated 100,000 people turned out to watch the parade start at 6.30pm at Old Trafford and finish in the city centre around 8pm in front of 12,000 fans gathered in front of the Town Hall.
But by 6.39pm, GMP’s official Twitter account was saying Albert Square was ‘almost full’.
And just four minutes later, at 6.43pm, GMP said: ‘Albert Square is now at capacity and no-one else will be allowed in.’ The event was unticketed, but numbers were limited, with stewards and police attempting to shepherd fans in through designated routes.
VIDEO: Watch United fans storm the barriers at St Albert’s Square Short and sweet: Sir Alex Ferguson makes a brief speech on stage in Albert Square Silverware: United lift their Premier League trophy once more in front of a packed Albert Square Thousands of fans were locked out at entry points from Cross Street, John Dalton Street and Princess Street.
But as the team bus pulled into Albert Square, fans desperate to see their heroes stormed forward and managed to push over metal barriers and force back the stewards.
As police officers rushed to help, several were knocked down in the melee as hundreds more United fans swarmed into the square.
Frightened young children emerged from the chaotic scenes and some fans expressed their anger towards the police at their treatment.
We’re here! The Manchester United bus arrives in Albert Square Smoking: The crowds gather in Albert Square as the Manchester United players close in Wild: The United bus makes it’s way through Deansgate, where spectators gathered in their thousands All smiles: Sir Alex Ferguson punches the air in celebration Having fun: Robin van Persie waves a scarf as he gets into the party spirit All aboard: United fans greet their heroes as the bus sets off towards the city centre Party spirit: Javier Hernandez joins in the scarf waving outside Old Trafford Leading from the front: Captain Vidic holds on to the Premier League trophy and waves to the adoring fans Sod off: A child holds a sign with a message for Wayne Rooney Not enjoying it? Rooney looks downbeat on the bus One man, who didn’t want to be named, said: ‘That was dangerous.
‘We didn’t realise it was limited numbers and just turned up to see the team.
‘It was scary when the barriers fell over and everyone just scrambled forward.’ Extra police officers were then called in to secure the barriers.
In a statement after the parade, GMP said: ‘There were unfortunately some individuals who attempted to break through crowd control barriers which were set up for the safety of those attending and resulted in additional officers and stewards having to be deployed.’ The force said three arrests were made.
During the event, GMP also put out a message on Twitter urging Manchester United fans ‘on the scaffolding close to the route’ to ‘please get down due to concerns for safety’.
The force later ‘thanked’ the thousands of fans for making the parade ‘a success’.
Finale: Manchester United fans gather in Albert Square to greet the bus Thank you: One fan in Albert Square gets ready to greet the retiring legend Ferguson Poised: United fans wave flags in Albert Square as they wait for the team bus Entrance: Sir Alex Ferguson arrives at Old Trafford to board the bus Room for one more? Sir Bobby Charlton joins the players on the bus Crowd pleaser: Ryan Giggs signs autographs for supporters Let the party begin: Manchester United players celebrate on board the bus outside Old Trafford Champion: Robin van Persie lifts the trophy Holding it aloft: Nani gets his hands on the trophy Snap: Robin van Persie takes a picture of the crowds outside Old Trafford First on the bus: Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra lift the Premier League trophy Words of wisdom: Sir Alex Ferguson addresses the 20,000 strong crowd gathered outside Old Trafford Legend: A fan displays a tribute shirt to outgoing manager Sir Alex Ferguson Time to celebrate: United fans, undeterred by the weather, get ready for the main event Tribute: A banner dedicated to Sir Alex Ferguson Joke: One United fan revels in City’s problems Record breakers: United parade their 19th league title in 2011.
They had just surpassed Liverpool’s record of 18 Glory season: United parade the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League in 1999 Soaking it up: Manchester United fans wait for their champions parade at Old Trafford in the pouring rain Wet: A Manchester United wipes rain from her face as she waits for the parade to begin Almost time: Manchester United supporters gather for the parade outside Old Trafford Company: Rio Ferdinand tweeted this picture of him and ‘big dog’ in a pub Cashing in: A stall holder sells Manchester United merchandise in the rain Dampening the mood? Stewards brave heavy rain and hail stones in Manchester Party time: Rio Ferdinand tweeted this picture of him and his team-mates in a pub first pic VIDEO: United prepare for their title party
Thank goodness Twitter didn t exist when you were in high school, hmm? If you ve ever said or thought that, you ll appreciate the COMPLETE ridiculousness of this story.
A class president at a high school in Kansas said something negative about his school s football team and got suspended for the remainder of the year.
He didn t swear. He didn t threaten anyone.
The tweet wasn t violent. But it made other kids angry. Yeah, that s really all it took.
We know you re dying to know what he said in this high school career-ending tweet. Here it is:
Heights U is equivalent to WSU s football team
Heights U is what players call themselves (not an official name) and WSU doesn t have a football team so neither exist. Oh, for the love of all things decent and moral what was he thinking to publicly make such a chilling comparison?!
Better question: What was the school thinking to suspend him?
According to the Huffington Post3, School officials said they suspended Teague for violating its student conduct code4, which prohibits cyberbullying, according to KSN-TV.
The comments got several underclassmen upset, and they wanted to fight him, USD 259 spokeswoman Susan Arensman told the station.
Some other students were suspended as well for trying to incite a disturbance at school.
So, THAT makes sense. Suspend the class president because jocks want to beat him up. Guess using your words is discouraged at Heights U.
Here he talking a bit more about it.
Do you think a suspension was the right way to go?(Image from Shutterstock)
Find More Release Products
Libyan olives, dates and fish could help diversify the country s economy (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)
Tripoli, 28 April 2013:
The sixth Agro-Libya exhibition will open at Tripoli International Fairground next Monday, with over 100 Libyan and international stands covering aspects of food, fishing and agriculture.
Besides oil, Libya offers excellent fish, olives and also dates, project manger for Agro-Libya, Rola Ajjawi, told the Libya Herald. She added that Libya s pure land, uncontaminated by modern fertilisers, offered great potential for future organic farming.
The exhibition, Ajjawi said, would include everything relating to agriculture, fishing and food.
This year, Agro-Libya will occupy three pavilions. One will be exclusively for Tunisian companies and two will feature stands from other international firms as well as Libyan organisations, which make up 20 percent of the exhibitors.
Agro-Libya will run from 6 to 9 May, with the opening ceremony at 6 pm on Monday 6 May.
More from Libya Herald..
- Agro-Libya Food and Fishing Fair opens tomorrow
Tripoli, 6 May: The Agro-Libya Food and Fishing exhibition opens tomorrow and will run until 10 May at the Tripoli International Fairground.
The exhibition will have a wide remit in all the agri…3
- Machinery and Food and Packing shows in June
Tripoli, 16 May: Two exhibitions, the Third International Machinery Show and the Third International Food, Food Technologies, Packing and Plastics Show will be held simultaneously 4-7 June at the T…4
- Minister of Economy Abufunas calls on companies to resume their stalled projects
By Sami Zaptia. Tripoli, 4 January: Economy Minister Mustafa Abufunas said that the economic sector needs priority in re-building. It was badly constrained in its ability to grow (by the previo…5
- The Friends: Libya and Republic of Korea
Tripoli, 18 July: By Daeshik Jo, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Libya.
In the early 1980s, I had just finished my military service and was preparing for an exam to enter the Ministry of …6
- Government guarded on Ghadames clashes
- Election candidate shot in south – Transparency Authority to remove two NTC members.
By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 16 May: The official press conference was a rather shorter t…7
- ^ car-bomb attack (www.libyaherald.com)
- ^ http://www.agro-libya.com (www.agro-libya.com)
- ^ Agro-Libya Food and Fishing Fair opens tomorrow (www.libyaherald.com)
- ^ Machinery and Food and Packing shows in June (www.libyaherald.com)
- ^ Minister of Economy Abufunas calls on companies to resume their stalled projects (www.libyaherald.com)
- ^ The Friends: Libya and Republic of Korea (www.libyaherald.com)
- ^ Government guarded on Ghadames clashes (www.libyaherald.com)
Chanting during England’s game in San Marino led Football Against Racism in Europe to submit an official complaint to Fifa.
Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images The Football Association has written to Fifa to say it has found no evidence of racist chanting by England fans directed at the Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand and his brother Anton during last month’s World Cup qualifier against San Marino but did not dispute that it had taken place.
The Football Against Racism in Europe group submitted an official complaint to Fifa over chants from England fans that included “build a bonfire, build a bonfire, put Rio on the top, put Anton in the middle, then burn the fucking lot”, which it highlighted as the most offensive.
Club England’s managing director, Adrian Bevington, said the FA was not disputing that the chanting reported by several journalists who were present took place but that it had not been able to identify any of the culprits.
“We’ve been asked to supply our submission to Fifa by Tuesday, which we will do,” said Bevington.
“We have gone through all of the video evidence that our security team recorded on the evening of the game.
I do want to make clear that, while the journalists who have reported this have done so in good faith, they clearly have heard some chanting of a particular nature and we’re not disputing that, but we haven’t been able to identify any of that from the recorded evidence that we’ve gone through.” Ferdinand was vilified by some sections of the England support after withdrawing from Roy Hodgson’s squad because the schedule was not compatible with his pre-planned fitness regime, before flying to Qatar to work as a pundit for Al Jazeera.
Fifa will decide whether to take action against the FA after reviewing its letter and any other evidence.
“Both Fare and members of the media have a duty to report such matters and we fully support them in their right to do so,” said Bevington.
“I want to be clear I am not calling into question the integrity of any journalist who reported what they had heard in good faith.
We have to ensure an environment exists where anyone is able to report their concerns to us, be those players, supporters or the media.” In the wake of the furore the FA said it recognised it must “continue to address any issues that arise involving our own supporters in the same manner we expect other nations to do so.” “We will continue to take every possible measure to ensure our supporters conduct themselves appropriately, as most have over the past decade,” said Bevington after the original reports.
“However, we will not accept any racist chanting and we also call on those attending England matches at home and abroad to stop the ‘No Surrender’ chanting during the singing of the national anthem, both before and during games.
We have made significant progress following the hooliganism that blighted the national team in 1998 and 2000.
We must continue to maintain this hard work.” Ferdinand said on his Twitter account in the wake of the incident: “You expect+accept banter from fans on the terraces as its part of what makes the game great,but racism is not banter,& from ya own fans.
WOW” He added: “Always a small minority who ruin it for others.
Let’s not jump to conclusions + assume though as it might just have been banter.
We’ll see after the investigation.”
The 159th Boat Race: Oxford beat Cambridge by a length and a half Oxford gained revenge for last year’s defeat with victory in the 159th annual university Boat Race.
The Dark Blues, who won the toss and opted for the Surrey station, surged to victory in the 4.2-mile race by a length and a half.
The Oxford crew, which contained two members of the Team GB 2012 rowing team, made a strong start and finally broke a spirited Cambridge effort just as the river turned towards the finish at Barnes Bridge.
The victory trims Cambridge’s overall lead in the event to 81-77.
There was tight security along the banks of the Thames following last year’s restart after Australian Trenton Oldfield swam into the path of the two boats in a protest against elitism and government cuts.
He was released from prison in December after serving seven weeks of a six-month sentence for causing a public nuisance.