0 View comments Gary Cahill insists there is no chance of his Chelsea team-mate John Terry coming out of international retirement.
Saturday will mark the first anniversary of Terry’s decision to call time on his international career because of the fall-out from his race trial involving Anton Ferdinand.
Terry – who was acquitted of racially abusing Ferdinand in court – would normally be the kind of man England could count upon when it came to crucial matches in unforgiving places like Ukraine.
No chance: Cahill believes terry will not come out of retirement to play for England And the fact England have only kept two clean sheets – both of them against San Marino – suggests Roy Hodgson could do with the 32-year-old back in the international fold.
Reports last season suggested Terry was considering making himself available for international duty again, but Cahill is convinced that will not happen.
‘That decision has been made.
He has moved on now,’ Cahill said.
‘I think that’s done and dusted.
That decision has been made and that’s all history now.
We know how well he did for his country and that’s that.’ Although almost a year has passed since Terry’s retirement, Cahill thinks the Three Lions are still adjusting to life without the Chelsea skipper, and his former England partner Rio Ferdinand, who retired from England last season.
In the fold: Cahill is in the England squad to face Moldova and Ukraine ‘They were two huge players and they retired at similar times so there had to be a transitional period and that’s what it is at the minute,” the Chelsea defender said.
‘We have some quality centre-backs as well, but when two big names, two big top-class centre-halves come out of the set up there is that worry.
People are always going to talk about it.’ Following Terry’s final game against Moldova, who England face this Friday at Wembley, Hodgson set about trying to find a settled centre-half partnership that he hoped would remain a constant throughout the World Cup qualifying campaign.
The England manager struggled to settle on a solid pairing at the start.
Cahill, Joleon Lescott, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Phil Jagielka and Steven Caulker were all used in a variety of combinations.
Hodgson seems now to have settled on Cahill and Jagielka as his first-choice pairing after starting with the duo in England’s last three matches.
Concerns have been raised about the partnership after Kenny Miller out-smarted Cahill at Wembley last month, but the Chelsea centre-back does not think defence is a weak point in the England side.
Club over country: Terry has started every Premier League game this season ‘It’s obvious people are going to say (defence is a weakness) because of the names that have gone out, but people step in,’ said Cahill, who looks set to win his 17th cap on Friday against Moldova at Wembley.
‘I don’t think (it is a weakness).
Ultimately, results will settle that talk ‘When I was first in the set up I was a lot younger so I feel like I have improved and I feel like I can still improve.’ Scotland striker Miller only had to throw the slightest of dummies to gain a yard on Cahill and then bury a low drive past England goalkeeper Joe Hart.
He acknowledges he should have done better that night, but he insists he has put the performance to the back of his mind.
‘I haven’t seen replays of it, but I have replayed it there,” Cahill said, pointing to his head.
‘You know straightaway when you make mistakes.
You evaluate what you have done and then you move on.’ Past: Players of the ‘golden generation’, like Steven Gerrard, are being replaced in the England side
Daryl Powell: Losing Rangi Chase would hurt us Castleford coach Daryl Powell admits it will be difficult to replace stand-off Rangi Chase who is keen to leave the club at the end of the season.
Chase, who has put in a transfer request, was the club’s match-winner in Sunday’s 44-30 success over Salford.
Salford led 24-20 before Chase transformed the game with a superb 62nd-minute solo try that sparked a burst of three tries in four minutes.
Powell said: “I had a chat with Rangi at half-time because I thought he was trying to do a little too much at times in the first half.
“He then has a period like he had in the second half where he is unbelievably difficult to handle.
“Everything he did turned to gold for a 10-minute period which put us on the front foot and got us back into a winning position.
“Rangi is special player and he certainly is if you give him any time.
“You can’t replace Rangi, you’ve got to play slightly differently.
Obviously, the club will do well out of it and we’ve got to make sure what we end up with next season is a positive situation.” Salford coach Brian Noble added: “Castleford had a couple of players that know how to change a game and Rangi did that for them and that’s why he is the player he is.
“From our point of view I was again disappointed because we are clearly competing.
“I thought we gave Castleford too much of a leg up in the first-half and it was like a game of touch and pass at times in the second half.
“We have a good group and it is disappointing because, in the last couple of weeks, we have been in a position to win games.
“We just fell off with 10 to 15 minutes to go whereas if we’d been a bit smarter with some of our own plays it would have helped us.”
Remi Garde: Looking forward to the Europa League Sky Bet Football Betting Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds Football Betting 10 Free Bet Remi Garde had no complaints with Lyon’s exit from the Champions League but hopes his players will benefit from playing in the Europa League instead.
Les Gones were ousted 4-0 on aggregate by Real Sociedad after suffering a 2-0 defeat in the second leg in San Sebastian on Wednesday night.
Having admitted Lyon were going through a transitional period, Garde felt the better side had progressed but was quick to focus on the positives of what it meant for his young squad.
“I think we have to admit that having lost 2-0 twice the opponent was stronger than us,” he said in L’Equipe.
“We thought we still had a chance had we scored first but we failed to do that.
“I would have preferred the squad to grow in the Champions League although it would have been difficult for us.
“It will now develop in the Europa League, a competition which is a little bit more achievable.
“During this transitional period, we know there will be times when we suffer and this is a difficult period.
But it is not every day when we face an opponent of the calibre of Real Sociedad.” Two Carlos Vela goals saw Sociedad through, leaving question marks over some members of the Lyon squad.
Striker Bafetimbi Gomis continues to be linked with Newcastle while highly-rated midfielder Clement Grenier has caught the eye of several top clubs.
Grenier, 22, has pledged his future to the Stade Gerland club, for now at least, telling RMC Sport: “There is no question to ask.
I will stay at least one more season.
“I do not want to let go of the boat.
It’ll be hard (when I do) but then I must ask the president.
But I’m good at Lyon.”
Carlos Condit: Back on track after victory over Martin Kampmann Carlos Condit stopped a bloodied Martin Kampmann at UFC Fight Night 27 to reaffirm his place amongst the top contenders in the welterweight division.
A barrage of punches and knees saw the fight stopped early in the fourth round, earning Condit retribution after Kampmann beat him in 2009.
Condit had lost his previous two fights to Georges St-Pierre and Johny Hendricks, who will contest the 170-pound championship in November, after being out-wrestled.
Kampmann attempted to copy that blueprint last night in Indianapolis but having kept Condit on the ground for the first round he succumbed to the superior stand-up offence of the ‘Natural Born Killer’.
Condit did damage in the second round but really took control in the third when he heavily cut Kampmann’s face.
Fifty-four seconds into the fourth period the Fight of the Night was stopped when Condit landed a hook to the liver and two knees to the face.
In total, Condit outstruck Kampmann by 100 shots to 35.
In the co main-event Rafael dos Anjos beat Donald Cerrone by decision.
Kelvin Gastelum submitted Brian Melancon, and Court McGee was given the judges’ nod over Robert Whittaker.
Takeya Mizugaki and Brad Tavares earned decisions over Erik Perez and Bubba McDaniel, respectively.
Jamie Hamill: Levelled for Hearts Sky Bet Football Betting Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds Football Betting 10 Free Bet Hearts are through to the third round of the Scottish Communities League Cup after a 5-4 penalty shoot-out win at Scottish Championship side Raith Rovers, who had Dougie Hill sent off.
The embattled Edinburgh club, bottom of the Premiership and in administration off the field were held to a 1-1 draw after extra time at Stark’s Park but eventually prevailed, Brad McKay scoring the decisive spot-kick.
Championship side Raith had taken the lead in the 50th minute when Liam Fox fired in following good work from Calum Elliot.
A Jamie Hamill penalty levelled the scores 12 minutes later after Jason Thomson brought down Billy King inside the area.
Hamill was also involved in the incident that led to Hill being red-carded on 74, the Raith player being shown a straight red card after appearing to aim a head-butt at his opponent.
After a goal-less extra-time period, Hearts twice wasted the chance to settle the tie when Jason Holt and David Smith failed to convert before McKay won it at the third attempt.
By and | 0 View comments David Moyes has asked for patience from Manchester United fans as he prepares for his first home game in charge.
The former Everton chief has been overwhelmed by messages of support after taking over at Old Trafford.
Moyes said: ‘As a football manager you can never ask for time in the job, but you’re always looking for that bit of patience.
Relishing the challenge: David Moyes admits succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson is not for everyone ‘There’s no doubt we are in a transitional period at the club most people recognise that when a new manager joins but I’m hoping that it’s going to go smoothly and that there won’t be too many bumps along the way.’ Moyes also claimed he was looking forward to meeting Jose Mourinho again after his return to Chelsea.
The United chief added: ‘Chelsea have undoubtedly got themselves a great coach who they know well from his first spell at Stamford Bridge.
‘In the modern era Jose has been one of the most successful of what I regard as a new breed of managers.
He is back where he feels happy Moyes has also admitted that following Sir Alex Ferguson is something of a poisoned chalice – but he is relishing the chance to succeed his countryman.
Seeking counsel: Moyes has taken advice from Sir Alex Ferguson after taking over at Manchester United And the former Everton boss also admitted to seeking Ferguson’s counsel during the opening weeks of his tenure.
In his first programme notes, he wrote: ‘ Taking over at United is a job everybody would want but I’m not sure they’d want to follow Sir Alex.
‘It was a wrench to leave Everton, but the lure of Manchester United was too strong.
‘I’ve only been in the job six or seven weeks but I’ve taken a lot of advice from Sir Alex, and Rene (Meulensteen) and Mike (Phelan) before they left.
Bow: David Moyes’ first programme ‘I’ve been impressed by the Glazer family both for their strength of decision-making and plans for building on the success here.
‘We couldn’t have had a harder start but we’re in good condition and ready to take on the challenge.’ Meanwhile, Moyes has asked for patience from United fans as he prepares for his first home game in charge.
The former Everton chief has been overwhelmed by messages of support after taking over at Old Trafford.
Moyes said: As a football manager you can never ask for time in the job, but you re always looking for that bit of patience.
There’s no doubt we are in a transitional period at the club most people recognise that when a new manager joins but I m hoping that it’s going to go smoothly and that there won t be too many bumps along the way.
Moyes also claimed he was looking forward to meeting Jose Mourinho again after his return to Chelsea.
The United chief added: Chelsea have undoubtedly got themselves a great coach who they know well from his first spell at Stamford Bridge.
In the modern era Jose has been one of the most successful of what I regard as a new breed of managers.
He is back where he feels happy.
Justin Edinburgh: Aiming high Sky Bet Football Betting Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds Football Betting 10 Free Bet Justin Edinburgh insists Newport are ready to test face a Premier League team after their first away point of the campaign at Dagenham.
The former Tottenham defender will take County to The Hawthorns to face West Brom on Tuesday night in the Capital One Cup in good heart after they got off the mark on the road in League Two in the pouring east London rain.
Chris Zebroski’s superb first-half goal after splendid work by Christian Jolley and Adam Chapman put the Welsh club in control at the break but the Daggers were a side transformed in the second period and captain Abu Ogogo swept home a shot with 20 minutes remaining after a fine move started by debutant Zavon Hines.
“We’ve come to a tough place and grabbed a good point that gives us good heart for West Brom on Tuesday,” said Edinburgh.
“We are probably happy with the point in the end but the way we started and dominated we might have put the game to bed with a second goal.” Edinburgh has a defensive crisis at the club with a slew of injuries, but admitted the win slipped away from Newport when they failed to find a second goal.
“If we’d have been more clinical they would have been buried by then,” he said.
“We finished the first half and started the second so strongly and I felt we would find that second goal.
“But it wasn’t to be, just like at Northampton (when Newport lost 3-1 in their first away trip in League Two) we couldn’t get that second and we’ll look forward now.”
Abu Ogogo: Scored the equaliser Sky Bet Football Betting Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds Football Betting 10 Free Bet The first ever meeting between Dagenham & Redbridge and Newport ended in a 1-1 draw at the L.B Barking & Dagenham Stadium.
Abu Ogogo’s equaliser ensured the points were shared in east London after Chris Zebroski put the visitors ahead with a superb finish from inside the area.
Zebroski’s 25th-minute goal came after splendid work by Christian Jolley and Adam Chapman and the Welsh side went into half-time firmly in control.
Justin Edinburgh’s side grew in confidence after a poor start and perhaps could have been more than a goal to the good at the break.
Robbie Willmott volleyed over and Jolley was denied by a terrific save from Chris Lewington.
But the Daggers were a side transformed in the second period, it was almost a total role-reversal.
Newport missed several chances, Lee Minshull the worst culprit, but the hosts were the dominant side.
And captain Ogogo swept home with 20 minutes remaining after a fine move started by debutant Zavon Hines.
They saw chance after chance go begging, defender Andrew Hughes cleared off the line magnificently at the death to deny substitute Afolabi Obafemi.
Jussie: Bordeaux have suspended the midfielder after he handed in a transfer request Bordeaux attacking midfielder Jussie has been frozen out of the Ligue 1 club’s plans after handing in a transfer request.
The 29-year old Brazilian was sent out on loan to UAE side Al-Wasl for a reported lack of commitment last season, with an exit from France now looking inevitable.
Jussie missed his side’s opening day 2-0 defeat to Monaco having been omitted on the back of his desire to leave.
“I can understand.
I met the coach early during the pre-season training period,” he told L’Equipe.
“I told him that I was looking for a club, but I was at his disposal.
If I had told him nothing maybe I would play.
“I am under contract with Les Girondins and I want to play.
I have been prepared for that and I am ready.
“Indeed, I missed one training session the day of the match against Monaco for the players not called.
I completely forgot about it but I paid the fine and apologised.” Bordeaux manager Francis Gillot also explained: “As he is looking for a new club, I will not put him in the group.
“If on September 3 he has not found any club, we will see.”
David Moyes: Manchester United manager still working on transfer targets Sky Bet Football Betting Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds Football Betting 10 Free Bet Manchester United manager David Moyes has revealed he is confident of adding to his squad before the transfer window closes on 2 September.
United have had a couple of bids for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas rejected this summer, but Moyes is expecting some new arrivals at Old Trafford in the near future.
Speaking at the launch of the new Premier League season, the Scot told Sky Sports News: “I’m confident we will have players in.
“We are involved in several players we are looking at and that will continue.
Will we get them before the deadline? I hope so, but we are working very hard to do so.” Moyes admits it has been a busy summer for him after taking over the reins from Sir Alex Ferguson.
He added: “This was always going to be a difficult window for me personally because I joined Manchester United on 1 July so it is giving you a short period to get to know the players and to get to know the market.
“Yes of course I was working on it during the summer but it is never the same until you have actually worked with the players and been around them.
“But what I do know is the group of players we have got are a great group of players – they won the Premier League last year.
“We have got lots of young exciting players – a lot of them played for England last night – so it is important that we focus on the players we have got at Manchester United and how well they have done last year.
“There is not much change so hopefully they will be able to continue the way they finished last season.” Ferguson is now a director of the club and Moyes says he has spoken to him regularly during the off-season.
He added: “I went to see him at his house and I speak to him quite regularly on the phone.
It’s good to have someone I can go to if I need any advice, especially at a club like Manchester United.
“He’s great and he’s someone I look forward to taking advice from in the future.”